Ruminations on knitting at 3 a.m. and home of the Giganto-blanket.

Ruminations about knitting at 3 a.m.

Giganto-blanket – finished!

Buy the tutorial and pattern on Ravelry

Buy tutorial and pattern on Etsy

Want me to make you one? Click here for more info.

Have questions about the giganto-blanket? Check out the FAQ!

Giganto-blanket is finished!

Giganto-blanket

It’s squishy and huge and pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. It’s so big you can hide under it:

Giganto-blanket

If you read my previous post about giganto-blanket, you may notice that the gauge is much different from how it started. That’s because I started knitting on broomsticks:

Giganto-blanket

But the broomsticks proved to be just too small for this project. I know, right? So I went back to the hardware store and bought a 10-foot length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I had them cut it in half, and then I added some duct-tape “tips” to the “needles” and started knitting. This time, the gauge was just right:

Giganto-blanket

The cats really love it.

Giganto-blanket

A friend of mine asked for a video of the knitting process, so I recorded a (low-quality) video of this madness. Check it out below. And if you’re interested in recreating this blanket and need a bit more instruction, stay tuned for a full tutorial and pattern!

Laura Birek
Nocturnal Knits

146 Comments to Giganto-blanket – finished!

1. January 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful! I have the blanket from Anthropologie that I believe was the inspiration. Might you be able to detail your ‘light felting’ process for turning the roving into that continuous beautifulness? I’ve been looking for a product like it, and have only recently resolved to create it myself. Thanks for posting!

• M510's Gravatar M510
      November 22, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

How much did the blanket cost from Anthropologie? I am making this blanket to auction off for charity and was wondering how much the retail value is.

2. February 13, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

This is wonderful………what a snuggle wrap, but think in my house with 5 big cats, it would not last in such beautiful condition. Thanks for posting this, I loved getting to see it.

3. andi gustafson's Gravatar andi gustafson
    February 15, 2011 at 8:35 am | Permalink

you just rock!! i LOVE it!!

4. Heather's Gravatar Heather
    February 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

This is totally fantastic! I must get more roving, yay!

5. February 21, 2011 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Fantastic! It’s wonderful, Giganto Blanket for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. February 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

This is an amazing knit! I think you need to make a set of HUGE CIRCULARS for the next project! lol

How much roving did you buy to make this?

7. February 28, 2011 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I LOVE THIS! I might have to be a total copycat. One question, tho. How much roving did you end up using for this blanket? Thanks in advance, :)

8. March 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Hi!I love this blanket and just hat to blog about you and your blanket!!

9. March 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! THANKS A LOT FOR SHARING!

10. March 18, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Hi Laura – fantastic, whimsical and so Delight-Full!

…thanks for sharing all the photos and the video. I linked your blog to my FB fan page –
    Happy Friday to you!

Frances Clements Fawcett/Artist and Delight Detective

11. March 18, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

That is just fabulous.

12. JJ's Gravatar JJ
    March 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

That’s amazing! You look like a mouse knitting with normal-sized needles and yarn. I feel like the video should end with you using a thimble for a hat and going to sleep in a matchbox!

• Clara's Gravatar Clara
      September 6, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Hahahah best comment ever.

13. Megan's Gravatar Megan
    March 19, 2011 at 5:33 am | Permalink

I would LOVE to make one of these!! I have NO idea about that wool though–I’ve only ever knit with yarn. Off to research roving wool. :)

14. mindy's Gravatar mindy
    March 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

this is totally cool–you are very creative as well as energetic–keep up the good work–

15. Aimee's Gravatar Aimee
    March 20, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Wow! I’ve seen knitters using pencil roving, but a whole roving?!? This is a terrific idea. What fiber did you use, and how long did this project take you? Wow…

16. Aimee's Gravatar Aimee
    March 20, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Oh, right: this is especially impressive as I am finishing a lace piece knitted on 00’s. We extremists are — well — extreme.

17. tikkicakes's Gravatar tikkicakes
    March 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Awesome! I have a wool shop nearby, hmmm….. I may need to stop in for some wool roving. Its sold by weight though, about how much did you need? It really looks lush by the way.

18. March 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

And I thought I had to do some serious elbowing with the regular “fat” needles! I want this blankie!!!

19. March 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Nice! I count 24 sts….so I think it’s doable cuz by the time it would drive you bats…done. But as for me….there’s simply no place to work a project like that…so I’ll just be over here in my little corner working on my envy-issues. Haha excellent work.

20. Marny's Gravatar Marny
    March 26, 2011 at 1:52 am | Permalink

You have most definitely brought a huge smile to my face!!!

Thank you … and enjoy the labors of your creativity!!

21. March 26, 2011 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Wow! That is really neat!

22. Line Rondeau's Gravatar Line Rondeau
    March 26, 2011 at 4:34 am | Permalink

You are funny!
    In Montreal this winter, they had an add campain where they put large knitted tuques on all the bus shelters and I couldn’t figure out how they could have knitted them. Thanks. Just like the caramel in the Caramilk, you have solved the mystery!

23. Barbara's Gravatar Barbara
    March 26, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

That was fun to watch…Loved the music to work by. I’m eyeing the PVC we bought for the yard with new eyes.

24. Virginia in TX's Gravatar Virginia in TX
    March 26, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Love the blanket, you are so clever.

25. susan swack's Gravatar susan swack
    March 26, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

simply fabulous!!! i loved your vid and i love the blanket. wow. you are amazing. thank you. -suz

26. Betty Mell's Gravatar Betty Mell
    March 26, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

VERY COOL warm blanket. Loved the video. How do you splice the wool roving?

27. Sue Walker's Gravatar Sue Walker
    March 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

That is mind boggling. Wow!

28. Patricia's Gravatar Patricia
    March 27, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Hey there, This brought a smile to me. What a feat.

29. Fran's Gravatar Fran
    March 27, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

My comment to my daughter who doesn’t knit was “Americans have too much time on their hands!!!!” We are so blessed, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thank God for this wonderful country that allows so many different talents. Fascinating!

30. Kathleen's Gravatar Kathleen
    March 28, 2011 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I just purchased your pattern for this blanket. I have one question. Can I felt this roving in my washing machine instead of in the bathtub? It will fit because it has to go in there for spinning out the water so could the whole process be done in one shot in the machine? Please let me know. Thank you :)

31. Kathleen's Gravatar Kathleen
    March 28, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Thanks Laura,
    Sorry I have one more question. I’m on the Sheep Shed Studio website and I just want to make sure I’ve got the correct yarn here. I’m choosing the Brown Sheep Superwash. But it seems to come in many different colours. Is it okay for the felting if I used one of the dyed yarns?

32. Kathleen's Gravatar Kathleen
    March 28, 2011 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! I’m so inspired. I can’t wait to try this.

33. March 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Ah, a girl after my own heart! I recently attempted a five-strand blanket and got too frustrated with the multiple skeins and such. I live using pencil roving and big thick yarns, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with your beautiful plush blankie. I want to snuggle it!

34. raquel's Gravatar raquel
    March 30, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

GORGEOUS! Does it itch like spun wool does, though? I’m wondering if my sensitive skin could handle being wrapped up in it. Because I would definitely want to cuddle with it.

35. not an idiot's Gravatar not an idiot
    March 31, 2011 at 6:52 am | Permalink

What a waste of good roving!

36. April 5, 2011 at 2:33 am | Permalink

I agree so totally not a waste!!! Did you put the roving into a bag in the machine or just take it out before you got to the stuck together stage??? I have been doing a similar project of a floor mat for an exhibition idea I have going but I am starting with the raw fleece ( some yummy chocolate brown!) and drum carding that and then lightly felting it by hand…..the machine and roving sounds much easier :-) I don’t think mine will be soft enough for personal use?? I would love to make one out of coloured roving YaY, thanks for sharing and I love your video. Do you mind if I do a post about it on my blog?? I quite often show my readers extreme knitting or crochet :-) Jen

37. Kathleen's Gravatar Kathleen
    April 11, 2011 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Hi Laura! So I followed your pattern to a tee (still not sure if I did the felting correctly though) and I love the blanket! I made it in the grape purple and it didn’t bleed as much as I thought – it didn’t ruin my sheets. It’s so cuddly and everyone who comes over loves it! They all kind of want one … haha. Anyway, I do have one question: how would I wash this blanket now? If I put it in the washer I’d be worried it would come apart and if I put it in the tub again it would be too heavy to pull out and dry. Do you have any suggestions or what you do to keep it clean? Thank you :)

38. camie's Gravatar camie
    May 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

are you willing to make one to sell? LOVE IT!

39. Mickey's Gravatar Mickey
    June 1, 2011 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Awweeesooommmmmeee! What a truly wonderful project!

40. Judit's Gravatar Judit
    June 14, 2011 at 7:03 am | Permalink

This is one of the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.
    For some weeks I experimenting with giant crocheting, but this is awesome!
    I deffinetly buy the tutorial.

41. Amanda's Gravatar Amanda
    July 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I want to know how much it weighed when you were finished!!

42. camie's Gravatar camie
    July 29, 2011 at 6:49 am | Permalink

it’s me again – the untalented one that doesn’t crochet, knit or otherwise. I’m willing to try to buy one from you. I know you said, time, materials and weight – then shipping, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE It!

thanks,
    Camie

43. July 30, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Love what you do! ^^ You should get Flattr so we can support you!

44. Sarah's Gravatar Sarah
    August 2, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

So I love this and would love to try it! Where would one get the “yarn” for this.

45. August 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

This was one of the most delightful things I have seen all day. I’m reminded of how as a dollmaker I have often seen advice to make sure doll accessories, notions such as buttons and trims, and “props” used in posed photographs, are to be made to the correct scale. This is what dolls look like when people pose them them with out-of-scale gadgets…

46. geraldine's Gravatar geraldine
    August 24, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

where can i buy this whool ?

47. August 25, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

LOVE this! Want to definitely make one!

48. Lori W.'s Gravatar Lori W.
    September 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

This is so cool!! You’re awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

49. September 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

that’s so great, thanks for sharing! makes me wanna try a carpet.

50. Janet's Gravatar Janet
    October 16, 2011 at 7:37 am | Permalink

What are the finished dimensions!

51. Alexandra's Gravatar Alexandra
    October 22, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I am interested in buying your pattern and making one of these amazing blankets, for sure! Unfortunately, I am a college student, and my crafting fund is quite limited… You said it takes five pounds of the brown sheep superwash fiber in white? I just wanted to make sure.

52. admirer's Gravatar admirer
    October 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Wow. This is amazing. I may have to buy this pattern just for incentive to make time to do it.
    I must ask, though, do you actually use the blanket? or do you find it is too heavy/fuzzy/warm?
    Thanks!

53. Tera's Gravatar Tera
    November 6, 2011 at 1:08 am | Permalink

I seen this and bought the download right then! So excited to get started, since water and soap is used to felt the yarn. I’m guessing that this has to be dry cleaned. Have you had to have yours cleaned yet & was that expensive? Thank you so much for sharing and will let you know how mine turns out. I’m planning on making 5 for christmas gifts so i better get started felting my yarn. Thanks again!

54. Ally's Gravatar Ally
    November 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Does it pill badly? Also does it get dirty easily? I would hate to have to wash it. But my dog sheds a lot

55. Tera's Gravatar Tera
    November 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Hello, I didn’t see any cleaning instructions. I gather you have to dry clean it so it doesn’t felt! Is this correct? If you can wash it would you please post instructions. Thanks again

56. Jody's Gravatar Jody
    November 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Truly inspiring project. Thanks so much for posting it! One question…. (I’m new to yarn crafts) Is this blanket itchy?

57. tara's Gravatar tara
    November 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

i have really basic knitting skills and im so happy that i can easily accomplish this amazing project! thank you for sharing your creativity!

58. Teah's Gravatar Teah
    November 23, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Hi, I am going to try making one of these for my mother and just wanted to know…did it take you the whole 6 pounds of roving to finish the blanket? I am just figuring out for much I will need to buy.

59. December 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

You are awesome!
    I love this.
    Thank you so much for sharing it.
    I must now learn to knit .

60. Jen's Gravatar Jen
    February 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Laura, beautiful….thanks for sharing! Can you purchase the roving ready to knit for this project? Thanks again, can’t wait to try it!

61. Christine's Gravatar Christine
    February 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Laura :-)

truly gorgeous!!! I want to make one where can I purchase those gigantic knitting needles?

62. February 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Laura!!

I ♥ this!! You’re so clever… You look like Thumbelina…in fact, I have to do this project… I always wanted to be a fairy/gnome girl as a wee one. This project, you see, can make my dream come true! :-) Oh happy day! :-)

63. Cameron's Gravatar Cameron
    March 21, 2012 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Soo im a guy and i have no knitting skills whatsoever but I think this is so cool . Could somebody email me with the price they would charge to make and ship something like this? I w2ould like to buy this as a gift for my girlfriend. PLEASE SOMEONE GET BACK WITH ME.

64. April 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

quel courage, c ‘ est extraordinaire je te dit bravo et félicitation c ‘ est géant ,a bientôt dane

65. Mary Schumaker's Gravatar Mary Schumaker
    April 20, 2012 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Hi Laura, The gigantic blanket is lovely! What kind of yarn did you use!!

66. carette frederique's Gravatar carette frederique
    April 26, 2012 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Wahoooo! I find it verry fantastic but were do you find the big yarn?
    I’am french, sorry for my english!

67. Addie's Gravatar Addie
    August 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Just wondering- I’d love to make this but am afraid that my cat would kneed it and make it pill to death. I read above that you have cats, how has the wear and tear been on your blanket?

Thanks! (and great job on the blanket, it’s lovely!)

68. cathy's Gravatar cathy
    August 19, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Hi Laura,

I’m so excited to try this, just purchased the instructions and wool…now I must wait :( I would like to make my yarn slightly smaller, perhaps splitting the wool into 3?? But I’m not sure if I would cast on the same amount of stitches…how would one figure out the size needles and gauge?

Thanks so much,
    Cathy

69. Ashley's Gravatar Ashley
    August 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Laura!!
    This is truely inspiring!! I want to make about 5-6 for christmas/bday presents. But they all have pets or young children, and the shedding could be a problem. I also want one, and i have two young girls. Is there any way to treat it so it doesnt shed? Or can i buy a kind that wont shed?? I truely love this!! (i also want to make quilts for my girls out of it, and that really cant shed bc they could breathe it in at night.) Thanks so much!!! I love thiss!!!
    (im sorry for any typos, im on my phone)

70. August 29, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

do you have any idea of how many yards are in the unspun yarn… knitting with the yarn is impossible for me, so I like your suggestion for using fleece, but would need an ideas of how many yards are in an unspun ball of woll.. I know you 700+ stitches, so if you can give me an approximate number of yards I would appreciate it.

71. Meagan's Gravatar Meagan
    September 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Hi! I have no idea how to felt! Does your pattern go over this in detail?

72. Lee's Gravatar Lee
    September 26, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

This blanket is amazing. When I first spotted it, I thought it must have been made with roving and broomsticks. Who would have thought that broomsticks were too small?

I’ve been knitting (mostly scarves) for a few years, but am not very knowledgable. I was told that maching washable yarn would not felt. Do you know why machine washable roving felts? If someone were to ask, I’d like to give them the correct answer.

Does roving come in thicknesses (there’s pronably a better term)? Is it possible to find roving that is not as thick as what you used? I think I’d work best with something that wasn’t quite as thick, as I tire easily.

73. april woo's Gravatar april woo
    October 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

How much roving did you end up using for this blanket? Thanks in advance

74. Kaitie's Gravatar Kaitie
    November 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

I love this blanket but I have never knitted anything ever! I bought your pattern but it is mostly just an explanation about the roving. Is there a place to buy the roving already prepared? Or an alternative material? I read through the comments and saw you mentioned felt. I would prefer prepared roving but I’m not having much luck. Any help would be great. Thanks!

75. November 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

can i just buy this blanket? i’m not kidding, where is your shop? it is amazing! i need it!

76. November 15, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink

This is so so so so cool! Thanks for sharing. I’m putting this project on my list of stuff to try this winter. It’s such a gorgeous blanket!

77. Grace's Gravatar Grace
    November 21, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Wow! This is amazing! How much does this normally cost?

78. Lauren Tucker's Gravatar Lauren Tucker
    November 26, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

How much roving per blanket?

79. LR's Gravatar LR
    December 20, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Hi!
    I love this blanket it looks so cozy! I was wondering how you slightly felt the roving? Would it work on alpaca roving?
    Thanks

80. Jenn's Gravatar Jenn
    December 27, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I just came across your awesome blanket today, but I knew the bulk and care of roving wouldn’t work for me. And then I came across this video for knitting on your arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=_D2PcXyoZEE And now I have the most amazing inspiration to use a round knitting loom to create a very very long chunky tube of knitted yarn to be used in place of the roving. It won’t pill and will be machine washable. If you need me, I’ll be buried under 300lbs of yarn for the next six months because this needs to be made!

81. kim's Gravatar kim
    January 31, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

That’s amazing!!! Looks so snuggly

82. kristin's Gravatar kristin
    February 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

amazing. i half wanted to sing row row row your boat since those PVC “needles” look like oars and your couch is your boat. great blanket!

83. Nanette's Gravatar Nanette
    February 4, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

love love love the blanket. But I cant handle any pilling. I’m curious though to know if anyone has attempted to felt the roving and then knit it up? I realize that the bulkiness would diminish and more roving would be needed, but maybe that works for me in my case. Thoughts?

84. Harmony's Gravatar Harmony
    April 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Not To A ‘Negative Nancy’….But Wouldn’t It Have Been Easier To Just Use Your Arms, They Are The Perfect Circumference ;)

Sorry For Every First Word Being Capitalized, My Phone Is Being Dumb!

85. Erika's Gravatar Erika
    April 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

So amazing. I just don’t have the patience…or the yarn!

86. Bev's Gravatar Bev
    June 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I’d love to make this but in Australia I am struggling to get Superwash at anything near to a reasonable price. I can however get handwash roving. Would that work and how would I modify your pattern?
    Thanks

87. Joy's Gravatar Joy
    July 4, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

So my question is… where did you get the yarn? :)

88. Belinda's Gravatar Belinda
    July 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I don’t know much about wool or felting, but I want to make this blanket. When I looked at the sheep shed website it’s says not to felt the superwash, but I know you did so I’m a little nervous about that. Also I want a super soft blanket, after you felt it does it loose that softness, because everything I find seems to show the wool literally coming out like felt?

89. August 20, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Ever since I found out about this blanket I’ve been super interested in trying either buy or make one myself. Thanks so much for the tutorial and the fact that other people have asked about cleaning instructions is telling me I might want to consider a darker color for the wool.
    I look forward to trying to out one day :)
    – Krys

90. September 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Lovely and inspiring. I enjoyed washing you knit with the enormous needles.

91. ryan rabuska's Gravatar ryan rabuska
    December 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

i need to get this yarn ASAP!
    i love the way yours turned out, and i really really want to try!
    so were can i buy the yarn cheapest?

92. Geni's Gravatar Geni
    February 17, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Awesome! Could you share how you formed the tips on your pvc pipe knitting needles?

93. Nish's Gravatar Nish
    August 2, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Hello I love this idea and can’t wait to start my own project. But I’m very confused by what happens after you order the 5.5 lbs of unspun wool and felt it. What does felting mean and could you please put a video up showing us how you do it?

1 Trackback to Giganto-blanket – finished!

1. By on February 21, 2011 at 1:41 am