Hello all. I know it’s been a long time since my last post, but I swear I have a good reason. First, let me show you what I’m currently working on:
It’s going to be a purse for a 3-year-old girl. It’s also a great project because I’m stashbusting! Yay! The pink yarns are leftover from the pink hearts baby dress I made a few months back, and the mosaic, upper part is some Noro Kureyon I had laying around. I couldn’t let Kureyon gather dust, so I drafted it for this project.
Speaking of my stash, I got kind of obsessive a few nights ago and decided to catalogue what yarns I had hanging around, and exactly how much I had left of each. Here’s what happened:
- Blue Sky Blue Sky Bulky (100% Alpaca; 45 yds/100g), Orange, 200 grams remaining.
- Lion Brand Wool (100% Wool; 186 yds/100g), Goldenrod, 146 grams remaining.
- Lion Brand Wool (100% Wool; 186 yds/100g), Pumpkin, 278 grams remaining.
- Rowan Classic Bamboo Soft (100% Bamboo; 224 yds/100g), Cream, 215 grams remaining.
- Rowan Classic Bamboo Soft (100% Bamboo; 224 yds/100g), Bamboo, 273 grams remaining.
- Koigu Premium Merino Semi-Solids (100% Merino Wool; 350 yds/100g), Black, 230 grams remaining.
- Koigu Premium Merino Semi-Solids (100% Merino Wool; 350 yds/100g), White, 39 grams remaining.
- Koigu Premium Merino Semi-Solids (100% Merino Wool; 350 yds/100g), Red, 263 grams remaining.
- Cascade 220 Plain (100% Peruvian Highland Wool; 220 yds/100g), Various, 552 grams remaining.
- Noro Kureyon (100% Wool; 219 yds/100g), dark purples, 100 grams remaining.
- Nashua Creative Focus (75% Wool / 25% Alpaca; 220 yds/100g), Zinnia, 780 grams remaining.
- Blue Sky Brushed Suri (67% baby suri / 22% merino / 11% bamboo; 284 yds/100g), Pink, 97 grams remaining.
Of course, this was just the yarn that wasn’t already in my closet, so I have much more to catalogue. Also, being the nerd that I am, I created an excel spreadsheet that automatically calculated how many yards I had left (based on the weight remaining), and what weight the yarn is based on the gauge. I’m a dork. Oh yeah, and then I put it on my personal website as a database-populated (MySQL for those who care) list. So as I add new yarns to my catalogue (or delete them, hopefully), the list will automatically update.
I told you I was a dork.
The one thing I haven’t told you is who I actually am. I’ve tried to stay as anonymous as possible in the blogging world because it’s a) easier and b) safer. You know, if nobody knows who you really are, nobody can kidnap you in the night.
But now, the benefits of staying anonymous are outweighed by revealing my secret identity, so here goes.
My name is Laura Birek.
Whew! That was easier than I thought!
The main reason I want to reveal my identity is that I have a forthcoming knitting book to be published by Chronicle Books in Fall 2008. I hope to encourage readers of my blog to seek out my book when it’s finally published, so I decided to come out of the closet!
And, now that I’ve revealed that bit of information, you can possibly understand why I haven’t been posting for the past few months. Everything I’ve been knitting is going into the book, and is thus top secret! Oh, how I wanted to blog about my projects, but you’ll just have to wait to see the fruits of my labor.
I turned the first draft of my book into Chronicle yesterday, so now I’m free to knit whatever I please (for a short time, at least). Check back soon for more updates. If you want to know about new posts right away, subscribe to my RSS feed!
I hope to see you back soon!
Categorized in: Musings