No, not that kind of red dwarf. This kind:
The star reference is a bit more obvious during blocking:
I made this little blanket for a friend’s newborn a few months back (Ravelry). I used some Nashua Creative Focus Worsted (Ravelry) I had lying around, and while the color was gorgeous, I felt the yarn was a little hard to knit with and the resulting fabric was a bit itchy. I almost didn’t give it away as a gift, but enough people told me it wasn’t itchy enough to frog, so I left it alone.
The only changes I made to the pattern were adding the ruffled edging—a soon-regretted choice because of its tediousness—and making the blanket smaller than written by stopping on row 70 of the pattern. The ruffled edging was very simple, but took forever:
row 1: knit
row 2: k1fb each stitch
row 3: knit
row 4: k1fb each stitch
row 5: knit
row 6: knit
row 7: bind off
Those increases on row 2 and 4 make for a LOT of live stitches on the needles. Luckily, I didn’t totally lose my mind by the end, and it did look pretty cute. The blanket ended up being about 34″ in diameter after blocking, which works just fine for a newborn.
This pattern is actually a whole lot of fun to knit, and super easy to follow. I think I’d make another one in a heartbeat, just this time with softer yarn!
Categorized in: Musings
Comments are closed here.